SHORT CV and BIOGRAPHY
Groupe de Recherche en Traitement de l'Audio et de Neurosciences
Université de Sherbrooke
Département de génie électrique
Sherbrooke, Québec, J1K 2R1, Canada
His research interests are mainly in the areas of nonlinear signal processing, neural
networks and Hearing for applications in auditory signal processing
and in computational neuroscience.
- Jean Rouat received his master degree in Physics in 1981 from the Univ. de Bretagne, France.
- After one year of teaching maths and physics, he moved in 1982 to Canada.
From 1982 to 1984 he prepared an E. & E. master degree in speech coding and speech
In 1988 he obtained his E. & E. Ph.D. in cognitive and statistical speech recognition
from université de Sherbrooke jointly with McGill University, Canada.
- In 1988, he was hired by the Université du Québec à Chicoutimi (UQAC) as an
adjunct professor to co-establish graduate and undergraduate programs
in computer engineering.
- In 1995, he was a visiting scientist of the former Medical Research
Council, Applied Psychological Unit, Cambridge, U.K.
- In 1996, he was an invited professor in 'Institut de Physiologie', medical
school of Lausanne, Switzerland.
- Jean Rouat has also been an invited professor at INRS-EMT, from 1997 to
- Jean Rouat founded the Microelectronics and Signal Processing
Research Group from UQAC (four research labs).
- Starting from May 2002, Jean Rouat moved to Université de Sherbrooke, Canada
to intensify his research and teaching in biologically inspired neural networks and
- Jean Rouat regularly acts as a reviewer for IEEE transactions
journals (Signal Processing, Signal Processing Letters, Speech and Audio Processing, Neural
networks), for Speech Communication Journal, for IEE Proc. Vision, Image and
Signal Processing and for INNS Neural
Networks Journal. Jean Rouat is also an active reviewer for
IEEE-ICASSP, IEEE-MLSP and other related international conferences.
- He is a member of the Acoustical Society of America (A.S.A), of
Société Française d'Acoustique (S.F.A), International Speech Communication Association
ex. E.S.C.A), IEEE Signal Processing Society, International Neural Networks Society (INNS),
for Research in Otolaryngology (ARO), Association for Computing Machinery (ACM). IEEE
Robotics and Society ; IEEE Neural Networks Society.
- Jean Rouat is an active member of the IEEE technical committee
on Machine Learning for Signal Processing and is active in
international collaborations with the EU (COST actions, Austria,
France, U.K.), USA and Japan.
This document was generated using the
LaTeX2HTML translator Version 2002 (1.62)
Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996,
Computer Based Learning Unit, University of Leeds.
Copyright © 1997, 1998, 1999,
Mathematics Department, Macquarie University, Sydney.
The command line arguments were:
latex2html -ascii_mode -split 0 shortBioRouat.tex
The translation was initiated by rouat on 2004-06-11